Useful Resources

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Further Clarification on Q 121

Sudhakar Tripathi says, "Human body resistance is around 1 mega ohm."
He further says, "Sir Parveen Sharma has quoted example of NCERT book. But Sir, According to what we had read in our engineering books (I am basically an electric engineer) and also according to IEEE, it is one mega ohm. Sir, Please clear it why NCERT Book has made that blunder regarding you."

Dear Sudhakar Tripathi
Well, you have yourself written that it is around 1 mega ohm. This is what can be ascertained in a laboratory condition. Secondly, the resistance depends upon the dryness of the body of a person, the silkiness of the skin and the height of the person. These factors show the result upto one mega ohm.


For an average height person, it tends to move from 4x10 raise to the power 4 to One mega ohm or 1000 k ohm or 10 raised to power 6 is the maximum limit which can be proved in laboratory condition. The range of the figures that can be achieved as explained by my colleague Prof. Parveen Sharma.


Further, all the IEEE help books provide the same answer after explaining what you are contending.


If you remember that earlier I have also pointed one mega ohm as the correct answer. This answer was provided by Chandramohan who is also an engineer and doing Mtech at Banglore. They are nearly a group of five boys who had taken this examination. It is only Chandramohan who had not taken this examination. These boys were also doubtful that whether it is 10 raised to power 4 or one mega ohm. He had given me both the answers. It was after discussing with him that I had marked one mega ohm but showed my doubts to which you have responded.



I have changed the answer only after you raised the pointer. By that time, I had discussed with some other boys also. They had pointed out the average value is 10 raised to power 4. Secondly, the answer level is that of average person and general value. Hence, it was changed when I saw the same question as it appears in NCERT book and you have just by chance pointed out that very question. The group from which I have procured this paper is getting correct answers in the range of 80 to 90. This is disheartening them. There is every possibility that the 10 raise to power 4 will be taken as the correct answer. This is as per what is suggested in the syllabus, science as a general educated person is suppose to understand.



Kindly also note, in NCERT, they have not given the solution. They have just suggested the question. It was when I insisted with my colleague that he should show me some book in which it is written, he has directed by attention to the Pardeep’s publication.



Friend, the main issue is whether one is going to get more than 90 questions correct in this paper. If you look into other questions, especially the oldest stock exchange, there is ambiguity in that question. Similarly, there are nearly fourteen questions about which there is ambiguity. It happens in case of MCQs. If one expects to get utpo 90 correct answers in GS and similarly 90 + in his elective subject, then he or she may start preparing for the Mains. The result will be out only in the third week of June which sometimes come by the first week of July even. In between you may have lost already two months. The October month is then hardly three months away. Therefore, it should be guiding principle.



Now, May I take the liberty in asking you to look into other mathematics based questions. Rest of the questions, like basic biology and geography will be soon authenticated by me. I hope that I am not impinging on your time.
I hope this may settle your doubt. Let us move to some other questions. You have done a perfect job by identifying one mistake. It was an inadvertent mistake. Any how, I am thankful to you.



Just one more thing. I am a lecturer of History. (Now DO NOT jeer at that.) I enjoy reading. Presently I am concentrating on completing one book. I have already explained the motive of creating this blog. No doubt, one should not give wrong information. I myself am totally against it. But, let us concentrate on getting near to the right answers and move towards other topics and issues also. I am not running away but your query has taken over whole my day. I am residing in rural area away from libraries and friends. If I have to recheck some information I have to travel nearly 17 kilometers if I am not successful in digging it out on the net. Any how, it all beside the actual talk.
Kindly remain in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous Writers, Kindly do not waste your time here. If you write promotional messages here, they will never be displayed. Kindly spend your time somewhere else. Your marketing efforts are destroying the pristine nature of Blogging.

General Information


UPSC has taken initiative to display Last Year Question Papers of CS, CDS, NDA, CMS, Engineering Service on its site. Check them out at www.upsc.gov.in. The files are PDF.


go to www.upsc.gov.in and check what is new.




Visitors' Log

Total Pageviews